When choosing a stockbroker or financial advisor to guide you through smart investment choices, you should look for an individual with experience, expertise and integrity. Your stockbroker should show a genuine interest in your financial welfare and express a sincere desire to help you achieve your financial goals.
To find a stockbroker who suits your needs, Thomas C. Bradley offers the following tips for finding a trustworthy advisor:
- To find a good broker match, first create an outline of your financial goals
- Compare and contrast firms and talk to several representatives. Ask questions.
- Make sure to ask about education, experience and credentials
- Check the National Association of Securities Dealers hotline at (800) 289-9999 to make sure a brokerage house or representative is clear of disciplinary action.
- Check https://www.nasaa.org/about-us/contact-us/contact-your-regulator/ to verify that a sales representative you are dealing with is licensed
- Investigate full-service and discount brokerage firms to determine which would better suit your needs.
- Ask about all charges - what do they charge to open an account, close an account, make trades, and what commissions does the stockbroker receive.
- Check www.sipc.org and ask if the firm is a member of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation, an insurance company designed to cover investments in the event of insolvency.
- Take your time. It is important to consider all your options before signing a customer agreement with a specific firm.
- Be wary of high pressure sales pitches that push immediate action, guarantees, or investments that sound too good to be true.
FINRA Broker Check
Learn more about what to look for when choosing a professional to manage your investments by calling (775) 323-5178. Contact stock broker fraud attorney Thomas C. Bradley, serving San Francisco, Sacramento, Oakland, California and Reno, Nevada, today for your free legal consultation.